The small print appropriate to hiring a canoe with us on the River Wye.
1. ( Party Leader) of the agreement is responsible for ensuring that each member of the party is fully aware of the risk when participating in a canoeing activity, that they participate at their own risk, and that they are aware of health and safety issues involved. Additionally each member of the party must be individually named on the agreement.
2. Risks: Change in air temperature, water temperature, wind speed, requires significant physical effort, capsizes, boat entrapment and personal injury cannot be excluded.
3. Anyone with a medical history has disclosed to us any medical conditions from which they suffer in respect of asthma, diabetes and heart disease. Anyone that is pregnant or epileptic cannot participate.
4. You will ensure that all people carried in any canoe that forms part of your booking who are affected by a physical, behavioural or mental condition or illness (this includes but is not limited to: pregnancy, loss of limb, immobility, heart disease, diabetes, asthma, allergy, epilepsy) have sought medical advice and that you have informed us in writing using our medical declaration form of the condition or illness and any advice given prior to the trip.
5.You will ensure that all people carried in any canoe that forms part of your booking who have an impairment of sight or hearing likely to affect safety have sought expert advice and that you have informed us in writing using our medical declaration form including any advice given prior to the trip.
The test we ask parents to apply is,’ would you be happy leaving one child to fend for themselves in the water?’
A canoe must have at least 2 people in it. The maximum is 4 – which could be with 1 or 2 adults with 2 children. The maximum number of adults is 3 (with no children). There is a weight limit to each craft of 40 stone.
Any person 14 years of age or younger will be supervised by an adult on a ratio of 1:1.
Children 15 and above could be supervised 1 adult to 2 in some situations, such as both being competent swimmers.
The minimum age of children is 4 years old
You shall keep the Goods in your possession and under your control at all times and use the goods only within the area of, and for the purposes of, your trip previously agreed with us.
6. Listen to and adhere to the safety brief given prior to your launch.
7. Loss or damage
You shall be responsible for losses of, or damage to, the goods caused by your own fault and indemnify us appropriately..
8. Consequential damage
We accept no responsibility for consequential loss or damage howsoever arising from the letting evidenced by this agreement unless it arises from our negligent act or default.
You should commit any breach of this agreement we may terminate the agreement and you will no longer be in possession of the Goods with our consent.
10. Cancellation by us
We have the right to cancel or re-schedule bookings at our discretion if adverse weather or water conditions are in force on the day of your booking. In these circumstances, deposits will be refunded in full.
11. Cancellation by you
If you cancel your booking, we reserve the right to charge you according to the notice you have given us:A. Less than seven days notice – your deposit will not be returnedB. Within 7 days but more than 48 hours notice – we reserve the right to charge 50% of basic hire costC. Less than 48 hours notice – we reserve the right to charge 100% of the basic hire cost.D. For any bookings over at or above the value of £750 full payment is due 7 days before the trip start date.If you rearrange your booking at the time of cancellation, provided that it is more than 48 hours prior to the date of the original booking. At our discretion we will move your deposit to the new booking and no cancellation fees will be applied.
12. Termination by you
You have the right to terminate this agreement at any time. However, unless agreed otherwise, we are entitled to keep any payment previously made if needed to cover both any net costs to us of your termination, particularly with regard to the collection of the Goods, and/or the net loss of profit resulting directly from your termination.
Ross on Wye Canoe Hire, The Canoe Hire Company Ltd will not be liable for any death, personal injury, or loss of, or damage to, goods arising out of the hire of any items by them unless that death, personal injury or loss of, or damage to, the goods arises directly from an act of omission on the part of the company, it’s servant or agent.
Your safety is paramount to us, and to your enjoyment of your trip.
Dogs are welcome. However under no circumstances are they to be leashed in the canoe.
River Safety Cover
Please note that there is no safety cover on the river as most trips advertised are self-guided. However, safety cover is in place if the trip is guided. Additionally we are contactable at all times to effect or organise a rescue. Call: 01600 890470.
Mobile Phone Coverage
Please be aware that mobile phone coverage on the river is minimal for a lot of the major networks. Hot spots are Kerne Bridge, Lower Lydbrook, Symonds Yat Rock and the lower sections of the Wye Valley.
What to wear and spare equipment
Loose lightweight clothing. Footwear – trainers, aqua boots or full sandals. Do not wear wellington boots, flip flops or jeans. Please be aware when the sun is out it will reflect off the water making it very hot , so please dress accordingly to minimise risk of heat stroke and sunburn. Also weather conditions can change very quickly on your journey. We always recommend that you bring a full change of clothes.
Fluids, snacks or picnic, especially if you are not planning to stop off at a pub en-route.
High factor sunscreen is highly recommended.
Do not bring
Expensive jewellery. Watches, cameras, video cameras ETC if not waterproof. We cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to any of your effects.
As per the countryside code please protect the countryside and wildlife by not leaving rubbish on the river banks or by dropping it in the river. Bring it back with you and we will dispose of it for you.